- About us
- Board and technical committees
- CARTV Programs
- Act, Regulations and Approved Specification Manuals
- Québec Reserved Designations
- Organic Designation
- PGI Agneau de Charlevoix
- Certification marks under an accredited monitoring regime
- Useful Links
- Job Offer (1)
PGI Agneau de Charlevoix
In a legal opinion issued in the Gazette officielle on March 21, 2009, the Minister of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food of Quebec has recognized as a reserved designation linked to a terroir the Protected Geographical Indication (PGI) “Agneau de Charlevoix” (Charlevoix Lamb).
According to the Act Respecting Reserved Designations and Added-Value Claims, the “Agneau de Charlevoix” recognition aims to protect its authenticity and its geographical name. The use of this designation is now reserved for products certified according to the designation's specification manual.
The specification manual describes the characteristics of the product, and demonstrates the authenticity of the Charlevoix lamb. On one hand, it confirms the link between the product and its region of production and on the other hand set forth the requirements that must be met to preserve the product's authenticity.
“Agneau de Charlevoix”
The “Agneau de Charlevoix” is a lamb born and raised in the Charlevoix region. It is raised in sheep barn from birth until the end of its fattening. Adapted to the characteristics of the Charlevoix region, its diet is made of barley and oat, locally produced grains, and fodder produced mainly by farmers themselves. The development of a typical Charlevoisian lamb, linked to its production territory has led to the exclusion of maize from its diet to rely on the region's resources assets.
These production choices adapted to the region give a small conformation lamb. The meat is pale pink to red, low in fat and tender.
The reference manual below presents, in three parts, the requirements following from the specification manual and the Act Respecting Reserved Designations and Added Value Claims.
- Partie 1 : Personnes visées au cahier des charges et obligations afférentes (in French)
- Partie 2 : Les exigences de certification (in French)
- Partie 3 : Fiche résumée descriptive de l’authenticité de l’appellation (in French)
Accredited Certifying Body : Bureau de normalisation du Québec (BNQ).
Address : 333, rue Franquet, Québec QC G1P 4C7
- List of licensied operators for PGI Agneau de Charlevoix
- Guide d'utilisation du logo IGP-Agneau de Charlevoix (in French)
- Bon de commande (in French)